It’s a gathering you’ve been looking forward to for a long time.
And to surprise the guests, you have created the most beautiful cake with drippy frosting and stunning patterns! After all that hard work of baking, frosting, stacking and beautifying, finally, it’s time for writing a beautiful message on top as the finishing.
Since you know your ABCs, it shouldn’t be that much hard to do, right?
Surprisingly, that’s the part people feel most terrified about!
Writing on a cake requires some skill and patience. A misaligned letter or even just bad handwriting is enough to ruin the look of your gorgeous cake. To create bakery-style cake decoration, you need to know how to write on a cake using a few techniques that pro bakers follow!
Things To Consider Before Writing On A Cake
The first thing you should practice is the font.
To perfect the font you want to write, first, print out the message on paper in your desired size and font. Next, take a parchment paper and place it on top of the printed paper. Using a piping bag, now you can practice writing in that format quite easily.
Spacing is a big concern while writing on a cake.Since standard cake size isn’t that big, you can’t put too much space in between the words!
For optimum results, cut parchment paper in a circular shape so that it’s the same size as your desired cake. Then try envisioning the whole decoration and practice puttingthe required amount of spacing between each word so that you can fit everything on top of your baked cake.
3. Piping Tips
You need to spend some time playing around with your piping tips as well.
The tip of the piping bag comes in different sizes. Depending on your preference, you can choose a tip that works best for your decoration. The higher the number of the tip is, the thicker the letters come out of it. For instance, a #3Wilton tip produces thicker and bolder writing than a #2Wilton tip.
4. Write First!
We know it’s quite tempting to complete the whole decoration and save the writing for the last step. However, if you are a beginner cake decorator, it’s best to write the message before doing anything else.
The advantage of writing on the cake before decorating is that even if you make a mistake, you can still fix that without wiping out the rest of the decoration.
Different Methods Of Writing On A Cake
1. How To Write On Cake With Piping Bag
- Piping Bag.
- Parchment Paper.
- Take a piping bag fitted with a fine tip and fill it up with frosting/gel. We suggest using a smaller sized cone for a better grip.
- Use a toothpick and mark the starting and ending of each word of the message. Make sure the words are all aligned in a straight line.
- Using the same toothpick, you can trace the words in the frosting if you aren’t confident.
- Hold the piping bag at a 45-Degree angle and start piping over the letters you just traced. You should use your other hand to steady the bag while writing.
2. How To Write On Cake With Chocolate
- 0.5/1 Cup Chocolate Chips.
- Parchment Paper.
- Frosting Bag.
- Take a bowl and melt the chocolate chips into the microwave. Make sure they aren’t overheated or dried in the process.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the piping bag.
- Put the parchment paper onto a counter and draw the letters you want to write onto the paper.
- Place a board under the parchment paper and transfer the whole setup into the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, peel off the letters from the paper and transfer them to your cake. This is the easiest way you can write on a cake where you get to create 3D effects as well if you want.
3. How To Write On Cake With Sprinkles
- Wax Paper.
- Place the wax paper onto a table and write your message in block letters.
- Cut out the letters from the paper with the help of a knife.
- Put the wax stencil over your cake.
- Pour sprinkles over the letters in a way so that it fills out the stencil.
- Remove the stencil and get ready to be amazed by the beautiful sprinkled message on top of your cake!
How To Write On Cake Without Tools
Don’t have any tool nearby to write on the cake?
No problem! We have some alternative solutions that you can try instead!
1. How To Write On Cake Without Icing
- Cream Cheese/Yogurt.
- Use a knife to pick up some cream cheese and spread it on the cake in the shape of the letters you want to write. You can use yogurt if you don’t have cream cheese available at your home.
- Now sprinkle the candies on top of the cream cheese in a way so that it spells out your desired message.
2. How To Write On Cake Without Piping Bag
- Zip-top bag.
- Parchment Paper.
- Take a zip-top bag and cut a small hole in the corner with the scissor.
- Fill the bag halfway with the icing.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper that’s about the same size as your cake.
- Using a marker, write down your desired message across it.
- Place the paper on top of your cake and trace the words with the help of the toothpick.
- Remove the paper and connect the dots you have created in the frosting with the zip-top bag icing.
- While tracing the words, hold the bag at a 45-Degree angle and carefully support it with your non-writing hand.
Bonus: Which Icing Should You Use For Writing?
There are lots of icing available on the market that are of good quality and great options for writing. Among them, melted chocolate, buttercream, gels and royal icing are the most popular ones.
If you are new to the world of cake decoration, then it’s probably a good idea to start off with melted chocolate for writing. Melted chocolates are very much forgiving and are easy to work with. Even if you make a mistake, you can always scrape it off, re-melt some chocolates in the oven and start over!
Tips And Tricks
- Before writing on the cake first, we recommend writing on a plate for practice purposes. This way, you will gain more confidence and be able to understand how much pressure is needed for writing.
- Instead of the large piping bags/parchment cones, it’s better to start off with smaller sized ones that give you a better grip.
- While writing on the cake, you shouldn’t drag the tip through the icing. Take as much time as you need and try not to make any mistakes. However, if you do make a mistake, try hiding it with doodles, dots or swirly patterns.
- Choose the tip of your piping bag wisely. A narrow tip will make it difficult to squeeze out the icing and too big tips will make it hard to write clearly.
- Do NOT fill your piping bag more than halfway. Filling out the full bag makes it difficult to hold and balance while writing.
A person can have the most perfect handwriting, yet fail to write properly on a cake!
The writing itself isn’t the difficult part here. It’s all about overcoming your fear and writing with confidence.
And the best way to gain confidence is to know how to write on a cake and practice. Follow the different methods explained in this article and you will be able to create beautiful writings on cakes without much effort!
Other Article That You May Like: